Bored in the city? nowhere to go? Digha is a second home as you have been there innumerable times, the city lights are deluding you?
Been in the city for the first time want to see and brag about friends about something they don't know about the state?
In both the cases here is your saviour, here is your option: Bishnupur, situated 150 km. off Kolkata in the Bankura District the small town of Bishnupur has for you a modestly good offering of terracotta temples and all those die hard Temple means Khajuraho fans yes it is not as spectacular as Khajuraho but it's sure worth a watch.
The temples are all terracotta, with fine craftsmanship on their walls, the panels depict tales from The Ramayana, The Mahabharata and folklore.the upper panels depict this stories whereas the panels at the base generally have animal figurines.
Jorbangla Temple of Keshta Rai - Built by King Raghunath Singha Dev II in the 17th century. The ornate terracotta carvings are set off by the roof in the classic chala style of Bengal architecture.
- Madanmohan Temple- King Durjana Singh Deva built the temple in 1694 AD in the ekaratna style, a square flat-roofed building with carved cornices, surmounted by a pinnacle. Impressive carvings on the walls depict scenes from the Ramayana, Mahabharata and the Puranas.
Rasmancha - Oldest brick structure. Built in 1587 by Bir Hambir is a pyramidal structure in the centre of the town, where the deities from the other temples are brought in a procession on the occasion of the Rasa Festival. There are some cannons of the Malla kings in the area.
The temples are ticketed, group tickets are available at Rash Mancha, so, its better to start from there.
The Other Places which are not in the photographs:
- Nandalal Temple
- Radhamadhab Temple
- Kalachand Temple
- Radhagovinda Temple
- Krishna-Balaram Temple
- Mrinmoyee Temple
- Radhalaljiu Temple
- Madangopal Temple
- Chhinnamasta Temple
- Jugol Kishore Temple
- Mahapravu Temple
- Radhashyam Temple
- Gumgarh - the place of no return.
- Pathar Darja (Main Gateway of Bishnupur)
- Garh Darja (Small Gateway of Bishnupur)
- Stone Chariot
- Nutan Mahal
- The memorial of Shreenibas Acharya
- The Temple Of Durga
- The Temple of Chinna Masta.